General Scholarship Timeline
- Call For Applications is made at the end of Winter Quarter (March) each year
- The deadline to apply is the end of May
- Awards are given at the end of Spring Quarter (June)
- Students undertake scholarship activities during the Summer Quarter (July – September)
- Scholarship recipients present reports in Winter Quarter (February)
Deadline Extended to July 6th 2020!
The Pillars Scholarship was established by the NewSchool Foundation to provide financial support for NewSchool students whose academic achievement and commitment to one or more of the School’s Pillars advance his or her education and the institution’s mission through specific summer activities. Since 2019, The NewSchool Foundation has partnered with the San Diego Architectural Foundation (SDAF) to fund additional scholarships.
The Pillars which support NewSchool’s educational goals include:
- Professional Practice
- Human Welfare
- Environmental Empathy
- Community + Industry Engagement
- Data + Technology
Awards are made to students who demonstrate strong academic performance and propose a specific project to be completed using the funds during summer quarter 2020. Awards may cover all or some combination of travel (local in San Diego recommended), participation in research, direct service projects (for example local relief efforts), tuition for online educational opportunities and workshops, or other activities that help recipients achieve their educational goals.
Up to 4 awards of a minimum of $1500 are available to Graduate and Undergraduate students.
The scholarship is available to all students who meet the following criteria:
- For Undergraduate Students: Completion of a minimum of two years of collegiate work and a minimum grade average of 3.3;
- For Graduate Students: Minimum grade average of 3.5.
- Submit the completed Application Form (page 3)
- Submit a maximum 2-page essay which MUST INCLUDE:
- A title for your application
- A description of how the ideals of one or more of the Pillars will be addressed
- A detailed plan of activity for the summer term and budget breakdown summarizing how funds will be used
- Submit the names of two references. Do not send letters at this time.
The qualifications, motivation and seriousness of an applicant must be demonstrated by the submission of a thoughtful, competent and well-written proposal. Applicants pursue outside opportunities with the goal of supporting and furthering their academic experience. Be sure to address goals, rationale, and specific plans.
Scholarship recipients must provide a written reflection of their summer experience and give a public presentation on their study or research. Recipients may also be required to give a PechaKucha style talk at an SDAF sponsored event. $150 of awards will be retained until these requirements are met.
The NewSchool Foundation (NSF) and the San Diego Architectural Foundation (SDAF) reserve the right to ownership of all materials submitted and presented for the purpose of print and web publication.
Submission Deadline: Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, the scholarship deadline has been extended to Monday July 6, 2020. Submit by 5:00 pm to Miti Aiello at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Selection: The NewSchool Foundation Scholarship Committee will review and recommend scholarship awards based on available funds and the quality of applications.
Comments or questions? Please contact Miti Aiello – email@example.com
The Pillars Scholarship was established in 2014 by the NewSchool Foundation through funding support and fundraising by Dr. Steve Altman who served as President of NewSchool from 2006-2013.This scholarship reflects Dr. Altman’s commitment to supporting students and enriching their educational experience.