General Scholarship Timeline
- Call For Applications is made at the end of Winter Quarter (March) each year
- The deadline to apply is the end of May
- Awards are given at the end of Spring Quarter (June)
- Students undertake scholarship activities during the Summer Quarter (July – September)
- Scholarship recipients present reports in Winter Quarter (February)
Applications for 2018 are now closed.
The Pillars Scholarship was established by the NewSchool Foundation to provide financial support for NewSchool students whose academic achievement and commitment to one or more of the School’s Pillars advance his or her education and the institution’s mission through specific summer activities.
The Pillars which support NewSchool’s educational goals include:
- Human Welfare
- Community and Industry Engagement
- Environmental Empathy
- Preparation for Practice
Each year awards are made to students who demonstrate strong academic performance and propose a specific project to be completed using the funds during the summer term. Awards may cover all or some combination of travel expenses, participation in research, direct service projects, tuition, or other activities that help recipients achieve their educational goals.
Two awards of $1500 each will be awarded.
Criteria: The scholarship is available to all students who meet the following criteria:
- No outstanding Emergency Loans with the NewSchool Foundation
- For Undergraduate Students: Completion of a minimum of two years of collegiate work and a minimum grade average of 3.3;
- For Graduate Students: Minimum grade average of 3.5.
- Submit the completed Application Form (page 3)
- Submit a maximum 2-page essay which MUST INCLUDE:
- A description of how the ideals of one or more of the Pillars will be addressed.
- A detailed plan of activity for the summer term and how the funds will be used
- Submit the names of two references. Do not send letters at this time.
The qualifications, motivation and seriousness of an applicant must be demonstrated by the submission of a thoughtful, competent and well-written proposal. Applicants pursue outside opportunities with the goal of supporting and furthering their academic experience. Be sure to address goals, rationale, and specific plans.
Scholarship recipients must give a public presentation on their study or research in the Winter quarter following the completion of their experience.
The NewSchool Foundation reserves the right to ownership of material presented for the purpose of print and web publication.
Submission Deadline: Friday, May 25, 2018. Submit by 6 PM to Lucy Campbell in the Library.
Selection: The NewSchool Foundation Scholarship Committee will review and recommend scholarship awards based on available funds, the quality of applications and the potential to build the schools future.
The Pillars Scholarship was established in 2014 by the NewSchool Foundation and supported through fundraising and by Dr. Steve Altman who served as President of NewSchool from 2006-2013.